Internal medicine / Sports cardiology
Have your heart checked and improve heart health through sport
- Multi-discipline and performance athletes who are planning intense, physical exercise, for example, marathon running, triathlon, cycle racing or mountaineering.
- Patients with cardiovascular risk factors (such as smoking, high blood pressure, diabetes and chronic stress) for whom regular physical exercise is a key prevention strategy. Individually tailored training can greatly reduce their risk of cardiovascular disease, such as cardiac insufficiency and heart attack. Intensity of training is central to success, so it is important to know the physical capabilities of each individual.
- Patients with heart conditions (such as cardiac insufficiency, valvular defects and arrhythmia) or who have suffered a heart attack or undergone a heart transplant - a healthy lifestyle is crucial for their treatment and therefore prognosis. We use sports cardiology investigations to find any abnormalities. Targeted diagnostics and treatment reduce your personal risk of further disease of the cardiovascular system. It is important to correctly assess individual capabilities and tolerance, as well as the risks of physical activity and sport, especially in cardiac patients who want to take up rehabilitative sport. Under no circumstances should cardiac patients start training on their own initiative, without sports medicine examination. Exercising when you have a heart problem puts you at risk of complications that could be as severe as sudden death from heart failure.
✔ Maximum training benefits with minimum risk: in the special “sports cardiology” surgery, you can find out for certain the status of your health, potential risks and how much exercise you can do. We will give you tailored training recommendations, along with medical treatment.
✔ You are in the best hands. We are:
• The most renowned sports cardiology centre in Germany - cardiac patients, in particular, come to us from all over Germany and beyond
• Co-founder of the sports cardiology working group of the German Cardiac Society
• Coordinator of the world’s largest studies on physical training with systolic and diastolic cardiac insufficiency; we have been conducting the world’s largest scientific investigations on intensive physical strain during marathons, for many years
• Co-author of European and American cardiological guidelines on training as part of rehabilitation after a heart attack or with cardiac insufficiency
✔ Many years of experience in cardiology and internal sports medicine enable us to make skilled diagnoses, for example, to detect cardiovascular diseases such as myocarditis, arrhythmia, disturbances in the heart’s ability to pump blood or vascular occlusion. The results then form the basis of our tailored training recommendations.
The “internal medicine / sports cardiology” health check covers:
Comprehensive medical history
Lifestyle, risk factors, illnesses and pre-existing conditions in the family
Thorough internal medicine and sports medicine examination:
• Measurement of height, weight, waist and body fat
• Blood sampling to check the function of liver, kidneys, cholesterol and carbohydrate metabolism
• Basic “heart” diagnostics (measurement of resting blood pressure, resting ECG)
• Echocardiogram for reliable assessment of any enlargement of individual ventricles, thickening of the heart’s walls, changes in the heart valves and movement disorders in the myocardium
• Echocardiography of the “neck vessels” to establish atherosclerosis
• Exercise-tolerance test on cycle or treadmill ergometer with ECG print-out
• Exercise (stress) echocardiogram to record disturbances of the blood supply to the heart
• Cardiopulmonary exercise test (spiroergometry) to find out how well the heart and lungs work together
• Lactate performance diagnostics to assess your stamina, find out your idea training zone and monitor how your performance improves
Personal concluding discussion and documentation:
• In-depth discussion of your investigation results
• Training recommendations for preventing cardiovascular problems, adjustment of medication
• Detailed doctor’s letter (you and your GP will receive one by post a few days later)
To provide you with the best care, we work together closely with our colleagues in other departments at Klinikum Rechts der Isar, TU Munich and German Heart Centre Munich. You benefit from close, personal cooperation, short waiting times, no loss of information and the highest level of skill.
The complete examination, including concluding discussion, takes around four hours.
Please bring the following with you to your appointment:
• Any preliminary findings and medical reports
• Your medication plan, if you are taking any medication
• Sportswear and trainers for the exercise test
• Toiletries for showering
• A snack
Please also note:
• You must have an empty stomach for the examination (your last meal should be at least eight hours before)
• Avoid intense physical exercise the day before the examination
• Do not drink alcohol or eat fatty food the evening before
• On the day of the examination, keep taking any regular medication as prescribed
Medical and sports medicine advice for training: ambitious amateur athletes, in particular, benefit from our detailed, tailored training plan to improve their performance in the long term or to train effectively for competitions such as half-marathons, marathons, triathlons and cycle racing.
The plans are devised by our experienced team, in particular Dr. Katrin Esefeld, doctor and triple world champion triathlete (age group) and Dr. Mario Weichenberger, experienced sports scientist and link to Olympiastützpunkt Bayern. The plans are based on the results of our investigations.